Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit:

  1. Eligible credit must be earned from a college or university accredited by an accrediting commission which is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). International universities must be recognized according to its country’s regulations. The posting of transfer credit for approved courses will be completed by the Registrar’s Office upon the receipt of an official transcript. An official transcript is one that corresponds with the credit granting institution’s definition of “official” and is received directly from that institution by the Norwich Admissions or Registrar’s office.  When a course description is not sufficient, a syllabus may be requested. The threshold of majority match in course outcomes will be used to determine course equivalence (1:1) otherwise an elective will be assigned.
  2. Grade quality points are not awarded or calculated into a Norwich cumulative grade point average All courses will be evaluated for potential transfer. Each course grade earned is held to the University’s grade rules for the degree and program requirements. A transfer course is identified with the grade of “T” followed by the respective grade earned at the institution, e.g. “TB-,” so that the course is applied following program requirements.
  3. A student who  has earned a bachelor’s degree, or an associate of arts  or associate of science  degree from a regionally, or nationally accredited institution recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the Department of Education will have the General Education course requirements considered to be satisfied. In some instances, a General Education course may also fulfill a major requirement; however, courses outside of the General Education requirement remain a requirement.
  4. A transfer course that is not a one to one equivalent is assigned elective credit at the appropriate level; i.e. a 100-level will be noted as 100 level, a 200-level will be noted as 200 level, etc.
  5. All credit hours earned will be assigned for transfer. When a transfer course has fewer credits than an equivalent Norwich course, the course may transfer (as equivalent) if outcomes have been met for the Norwich course but only the credit hours earned are applied.
  6. A transfer student must meet residency requirements to be eligible for a degree. 
  7. When a student’s transfer credit hour exceeds transfer limitations, additional course requirements will be arranged between the Advisor or the Department Chair and the student to ensure that the student meets the residency requirement.
  8. Quarter credit hours or units will be converted to semester credits. A quarter credit is divided by 1.5.

Transient Student (NU student taking a course at another institution)

A degree-seeking student who wishes to earn credit at another accredited institution (refer to Transfer Policy) must have written approval from their academic advisor in the form of the signed Transfer Credit. To determine course transferability, the subject Department Chair/Program Director will review the course when the course is not articulated. Once the Transfer Credit Form is completed and submitted, the Office of the Registrar will approve the contract. A course taken off campus is held to the Transfer Policy and program grade rules. A student must also meet residency requirements; e.g. hours earned at Norwich University.

International Study

Degree seeking students who are interested in studying outside of the United States will follow the Transient Student Policy and follow the Transfer Credit policy. For a program offered through a Norwich study abroad program should contact the International Center for information on application procedures. Upon coursework completion, the student must provide an official transcript of the coursework completed. When a transcript cannot be obtained in English, the student must submit the transcript through a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. The University reserves the right to accept or reject transcripts and to ask for additional information if deemed necessary.

Articulation Agreements

Articulation agreements are unified agreements between Norwich University and partner organization. A student who transfers to Norwich under an Articulation agreement shall follow transfer regulations according to the specific articulation agreement.

Transfer Credit Appeal

If a student wishes to appeal a transfer credit decision, s/he may submit a copy of the syllabus from the course in question to the Office of the Registrar no later than 90 days from the date of the transfer evaluation. Appeals will go to, and may be granted by the program designee and amended on the student’s record. When cases of unusual or extenuating circumstances occur, a student may appeal the transfer credit decision beyond the 90-day limit.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Norwich recognizes the value and purpose of certain college-level courses offered to superior students in many secondary schools through the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. To be eligible for advanced standing and/or actual college credit, the entering first-year students must have completed a college-level Advanced Placement course in high school and achieved a satisfactory score on the Advanced Placement Test for that subject. All decisions regarding standing and credit are made by the Registrar. Scores vary by course subject, see the Norwich University Registrar website for course listing.

Advanced Standing/Credit BTEC/Cambridge International

Advanced Diploma Level 3 and BTEC National Diploma will be reviewed for advanced standing and/or academic credit of up to 30 semester hours, when the subject matter is deemed acceptable. A-Level courses with a C or higher are recognized for college credit of up to 30 semester hours of credit. AS-Level courses with a C or higher are recognized for college credit of up to 15 semester hours of credit.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Norwich awards credit for Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program. Scores vary by course subject, see the Norwich University Registrar website for course listing.

International Baccalaureate Organization Program (IB)

Norwich awards advanced standing credit for specified standard and higher level examinations. Additional information is available on the website. See the Norwich University Registrar website for course listing.

Military Credit

Norwich University will review any previous military experience and training for possible university credit. The same transfer rules apply to these courses. Determination of credit is based on the American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines as published in The Guide to the Evaluation of Military Experiences in the Armed Services. In addition to high school or college academic transcripts, applicants will need to submit a military transcript(s) or other additional documentation detailing training and education.

  • Military training, in accordance with the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces, published by the American Council on Education (ACE), may be accepted if it applies to courses required for the degree.
  • Norwich University complies with Veterans Administration regulations and guidelines as well as with the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding with the U.S. Department of Defense for the award of Tuition Assistance (TA) to active duty military students as they pertain to transfer credits.

Prior Learning Assessment

Norwich University defines “Prior Learning Assessment” as “learning accomplished by students through non-university courses or professional training in combination with professional or workplace experience in the application of the knowledge, skills, and abilities thus acquired.” The University acknowledges that a combination of training and professional experience sometimes equips students with some of the knowledge, skills, and abilities that they would acquire in a formal college-level classroom.  Norwich therefore evaluates various types of training available to or completed by prospective degree completion students in order to determine if the outcomes and competencies of certain degree completion courses have already been met.

Residence Requirement

  (Limits the amount of undergraduate degree credit which may be transferred to Norwich University.)

  1. At least one-fourth of the required bachelor's degree credits must be earned at Norwich.
  2. Limits to transfer credits for undergraduate majors, minors, and concentrations (subject to Articulation agreements).
    1. Major: No more than 40% of credits required in courses specified in the discipline of the major.
    2. Minor and Concentration: No more than three of the six required courses specified in the discipline of the minor or concentration. 

Statute of Catalog Limitations

Students must satisfy the degree requirements of a catalog year that is within ten years of their graduation year.