Withdrawals from the University

This is an archived copy of the 2017-18 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.norwich.edu/.

A withdrawal is generally a permanent separation from the University. Either the student or the University may initiate the withdrawal process.

Withdrawals Initiated by the Student

When a withdrawal is necessary, the student must direct the following requests in writing to the appropriate institutional officer. 

  • Requests for withdrawal must be submitted in writing to the program's Student Service Advisor.
  • Requests for a refund must be submitted in writing to the University Bursar.

Students using financial aid in the form of federal loans, who anticipate returning to the university within a reasonable length of time from the withdrawal, should notify their Financial Aid Advisor in writing of their intent.

Norwich University must make commitments to faculty and staff in advance of actual student enrollment, therefore only a partial refund of tuition paid will be made if the student leaves for any reason prior to the end of any semester. The only exception to this policy is for activation or deployment of military personnel to a combat zone or in direct support of or proximity to a combat zone during the period of enrollment (see below regarding Military Activation and Deployment to a Combat Zone).

Scholarships, grants, and federally funded loans will be refunded, in the appropriate ratio, using federal guidelines for financial aid, either to the University or to the agency from which the aid funds were received. In many cases, this will result in an additional amount due from the student to the University.  

Withdrawals Initiated by the University

The University, through the Dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies, may also initiate an Administrative Withdrawal. Such instances might occur for student failure to participate, unexcused absence of 14 days or more, violation of the academic honesty policy, failure to pay tuition, or in cases where the student is a distraction to other students and instructors.