Independent Learning

This is an archived copy of the 2015-16 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Extra Institutional Learning

Extra Institutional Learning is learning that is attained outside the sponsorship of legally authorized and accredited post secondary educational institutions. The term applies to learn­ing acquired from work and life experiences, independent reading and study, and participation in formal courses sponsored by associations, business, government, indus­try, unions and the military. Credit from extra institutional learning is treated as transfer credit and is subject to the limits described this section of the catalog.

  • Basic ROTC courses may be waived on the basis of at least 6 months of active duty in the Armed Forces or as approved by the appropriate Professor of Military Science.
  • Credits, not grade points, for other extra institutional learning as recommended in nationally recognized guides and publications may be awarded upon the positive recom­mendation of the appropriate course department head and dean. Such credits shall be awarded in compliance with the evaluations provided by the American Council on Educa­tion, (ACE).
  • Credits, not grade points, may be awarded for upper level International Baccalaureate courses based on evaluation by corresponding academic program departments.


Students who intend to engage in an internship must register for the internship during the designated registration period for a fall or spring semester internship and by 1 May for a summer internship. Departmental or school permission is required for an internship. Enrollment for internships will not occur unless the faculty member has received written confirmation from the field supervisor that internship arrangements are complete.  Internships will be scheduled to coincide with opening and closing dates of the semester of internship enrollment. Summer internships will coincide with the beginning and ending dates of the appropriate summer session.

Independent Study

To support a course registration for an independent study, the affirmative recommendation of the student’s academic advisor and the course Department Chair/Director and College  Dean must be present on an Independent Study form .

Use of Military Courses to Satisfy Curricular Requirements

Up to six degree credits as free electives toward the Baccalaureate degree may be granted for the following courses: AS 311, AS 312, AS 411, AS 412, MS 311, MS 312, MS 411, MS 412, NS 321, NS 322, NS 331, NS 342, NS 421, NS 422, NS 431.