Transfer Credit

This is an archived copy of the 2015-16 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The College of Graduate and Continuing Studies may award graduate credit, not grade points, to fulfill masters’ degree requirements for:

  1. academic work, at the course level and/or degree level, successfully completed at regionally accredited institutions;
  2. academic work, at the course level and/or degree level, successfully completed at nationally accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education;
  3. academic work, at the course level and/or degree level, successfully completed at international institutions recognized by an approved academic credential evaluation service;  
  4. military training, in accordance with the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces, published by the American Council on Education (ACE);
  5. graduate courses successfully completed through third-party entities with which Norwich University has agreements;
  6. other extra-institutional learning as recommended in nationally recognized guides and publications or by national review bodies such as the American Council on Education (ACE);
  7. other extra-institutional learning as reviewed and approved by the CGCS Academic Credit Transfer Evaluation Committee.

Exceptions to this policy may be made only with a positive recommendation from the Dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies and approval from the Norwich University Committee on Academic Standing and Degree (CASD).

Norwich University complies with Veterans Administration regulations and guidelines as they pertain to transfer credits.

Guidelines for Awarding Graduate Credit

  1. In order for prior graduate credit to be considered as transfer credit it must (a) preserve the integrity of the degree being sought, and (b) be validated by the institution of origin through an official transcript (or its equivalent) issued directly by the awarding institution to Norwich University. 
  2. The Program Director (PD) determines the applicability of credit toward the degree.   If a request for transfer is not granted, the student may appeal the PD’s decision to the chair of the division whose decision is final.
  3. The maximum allowable transfer credit at the master’s degree level is one-third of the stated degree requirement credits unless otherwise stated in an official agreement between Norwich University’s College of Graduate and Continuing Studies and the awarding institution. 
  4. Prior experiential, life-long learning or non-college sponsored learning sources are not acceptable sources of transfer credit at the graduate level.
  5. Credits transferred at the graduate level require a grade of “B” or better 4.0 scale.
  6. Grade points will not be transferred.
  7. In order to be applied to the degree sought, all transfer credit must have been earned within ten years of completing the Norwich degree to which the transfer credit is applied.
  8. Graduate students requesting transfer of credit after admission to the program must petition the Program Director.

Residence Requirement

At least two-thirds of the credits required for the master’s degree must be earned at Norwich. There are exceptions to this policy as they pertain to established articulation agreements with specific institutions. Exceptions to this policy can also be obtained on an individual basis by appealing to the Norwich University's Committee on Academic Standing and Degrees as outlined in the University's regulations.

Statute of Limitations

Students must satisfy all degree requirements within ten years of the date at which they begin the program.