Transfer Degrees and Transfer Credit

This is an archived copy of the 2014-15 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

The College of Graduate and Continuing Studies may award undergraduate credit, not grade points, to fulfill baccalaureate degree-completion admissions and degree requirements for:

  1. academic work, at the course level and/or degree level, successfully completed at regionally accredited institutions;
  2. academic work, at the course level and/or degree level, successfully completed at nationally accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education;
  3. academic work, at the course level and/or degree level, successfully completed at international institutions recognized by an approved academic credential evaluation service;  
  4. military training, in accordance with the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces, published by the American Council on Education (ACE);
  5. undergraduate courses successfully completed through third-party entities with which Norwich University has agreements;
  6. other extra-institutional learning as recommended in nationally recognized guides and publications or by national review bodies such as the American Council on Education (ACE);
  7. other extra-institutional learning as reviewed and approved by the CGCS Academic Credit Transfer Evaluation Committee.

Exceptions to this policy may be made only with a positive recommendation from the Dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies and approval from the Norwich University Committee on Academic Standing and Degree (CASD).

Norwich University complies with regulations and guidelines of the Veterans' Administration and Service-members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) as they pertain to transfer credits.

Guidelines for Undergraduate Transfer Credit

  1. In order to meet the admission requirements of any 60-credit or 63-credit degree-completion program offered at Norwich University through the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies, incoming students must successfully transfer 60 semester credit hours, through individual course credit or a two-year transfer degree, into the bachelor’s program.
  2. In order for prior undergraduate credit and degrees to be considered as transfer credit they must (a) preserve the integrity of the degree sought, and (b) be validated by the awarding institution through an official transcript (or its equivalent) issued directly by the awarding institution to Norwich University. These credits may come from individual courses, two-year transfer degrees, or a combination of both, depending on the source that provides the greater benefit to the student.
  3. The Program Manager (PM) determines the applicability of credit toward the Norwich degree.   If a request for transfer is not granted the student may appeal the PM’s decision to the chair of the department whose decision is final.
  4. The minimum number of credits that must be completed at Norwich University is determined by the guidelines for members of the Service-members Opportunity Colleges (SOC), of which Norwich University is a member, but in no case shall be less than 36 credits.
  5. Credits transferred at the individual course level require a grade of “C” or better on a 4.0 scale.
  6. Credits earned to fulfill the requirements of an associate of arts or associate of science degree are not subject to the minimum grade requirement. 
  7. A two-year transfer degree earned at an institution with which Norwich University’s College of Graduate and Continuing Studies has articulated shall:
    1. be applied in its entirety toward the Norwich degree; 
    2. represent a block transfer of credit equivalent to the first 60 credits of the Norwich baccalaureate degree, unless the transfer of individual course credit provides a greater credit benefit to the student;
    3. not be subject to the minimum grade requirements of individual courses. Block transfers indicate that a student has achieved a combined level of learning which makes it appropriate to decrease the reliance on individual minimum grades or credit values.
  8. Grade points will not be transferred.
  9. In order to be applied to the baccalaureate degree sought, transfer credit earned more than ten years prior to completing the Norwich degree to which that transfer credit is applied will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Transcript Evaluation and Posting of Transfer Credit

Academic work accomplished at other regionally or nationally accredited institutions and in accordance with regulations pertaining to transfer credit and other extra-institutional learning as described above will be reviewed for Norwich course equivalency. The posting of transfer credit for approved courses will be undertaken by the Registrar’s Office upon the receipt of an official transcript. An official transcript is one that corresponds with the credit granting institution’s definition of “official” and is received directly from that institution by the Admissions or Registrar’s Office.

Residence Requirement

The residence requirement limits the amount of degree credits which may be transferred to Norwich University. At least 50% of the credits required for the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice degree or the Bachelor of Science in Strategic Studies and Defense Analysis degree must be earned at Norwich except as outlined above with regard to the requirements for member schools of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC).

Statute of Limitations

Students must satisfy the catalog degree requirements of a catalog year that is within ten years of the graduation year.