Appendix H: Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973/Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

This is an archived copy of the 2014-15 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Norwich University is committed to ensuring equal access to our programs and will provide reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973/Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  

Request for Accommodation

It is the responsibility of the student to contact the ADA Representative in the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies (CGCS) to request an accommodation and to provide required medical documentation substantiating and outlining the student’s disability. 

Contact information for the CGCS ADA Representative:

Nick Cooper
College of Graduate and Continuing Studies
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663


Phone: 802.485.2697
Fax: 802.485.2533

Appeal Process

Any student dissatisfied with the adjustments made to accommodate a disability will have the right to appeal. First, the student should contact the CGCS ADA Representative to attempt to resolve any issues. If after working with the CGCS ADA Representative the student is still not satisfied, the student should follow the formal appeal process outlined below.

The appeal process will be as follows:

  1. A written statement will be sent by the student to the Director of Human Resources, who serves as the University's 504 Coordinator.
    1. This statement should include all relevant information and should request clear remedial action.
    2. Based on this statement, the Coordinator will either reactivate the individual planning process or determine that the plan as developed is appropriate.
  2. If the appeal is rejected, it may be resubmitted to the Committee on Academic Standing and Degrees (CASD). That Committee will conduct an informal hearing on the issue, and either change the individual plan or sustain the original decision.
  3. The final level of appeal will be the Vice President of Academic Affairs of the University or a designee. This decision will be final.