Appendix D: Appeals and Grievance Procedure

This is an archived copy of the 2013-14 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Right of Petition and Appeal

Students may present to the Committee on Academic Standings and Degrees (CASD) petitions requesting exceptions to these regulations. Submission of a petition does not guarantee approval. Students should obtain confirmation of the result of the petition from the Registrar’s office.

Decisions of the CASD may be appealed within ten business days of receipt of the CASD action to the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs of the University, whose decision shall be final. All petitions and appeals are to be presented in writing together with the necessary supporting documentation.

Decisions rendered by University officials in response to the submission of any of the various academic forms mentioned elsewhere in these regulations shall be subject to appeal to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (SVPAA). Appeals made under this provision shall conform to the timelines, criteria, and limitations above.

Grievance Procedure

Students who are dissatisfied with any aspect of the conduct of a course are encouraged to seek resolution to the problem.

  • All academic petitions by graduate students are to be filed by the student through the program director with the Registrar’s Office for action by the Committee on Academic Standing and Degrees (CASD).
  • All academic petitions by degree-completion students are to be filed by the student through the department chair with the Registrar’s Office for action by the Committee on Academic Standing and Degrees (CASD).

At a minimum, the petition must carry a clear statement by the student of the request, the student’s signature or electronic signature, and the recommendation of the program director or department chair, as applicable. In addition, if the petition is for an exception to the Academic Regulations, the students must specify the grounds to be considered by the CASD in determining whether an exception to regulations should be granted. Any petition for an exception that lacks justification will not be considered.

All recommendations require, if reference is made in the petition by the student to any Norwich University official (because of an alleged action or statement by that official which is germane to the petition), that official (faculty member or administrator) must provide a recommendation.

Procedure for Academic Issues

Dissatisfaction with the academics or instruction of a course should be expressed in writing to the course instructor. The student must address the specific course component or assignment he/she wishes to challenge.

  • If no mutually agreeable solution is reached, the student may appeal, in writing, to the program director or department chair.
  • If no resolution is reached with the program director or chair, the student may appeal to the Vice President and Dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies (VPAA).
  • If the issue is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction, the student may appeal through the VPAA to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (SVPAA) for a final review. All appeals must be in writing.

Procedure for Administrative Issues

Dissatisfaction with the administrative services provided should be directed, in writing, to the student services advisor who will escalate the matter as necessary.